Saturday, August 10, 2013

READING THE BOOK OF PROVERBS IN 30 DAYS



IAM challenging myself in another way, I have begun reading the Book of Proverbs – again, for I do not know how many times now. And I have started today. 

The Book of Proverbs is good for advice, counsel and encouragement for everybody.
There Wisdom is presented as a valuable quality that the reader must strive to develop in life.
Interestingly, in Proverbs 1:7 it says: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Another interesting verse is 1:5: A wise man/person will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels.
King Lemuel, the person writing this chapter, urges the young person to listen to his/her guardians in 1:8: My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother.
Lemuel also warns young people not to follow bad characters. He says in 1:10: My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
I know the exercise of reading Proverbs (again) will be rewarding. 

May you also learn and take up the challenge.
You know, you can be very bright but being intelligent is no guarantee that you will succeed in life.
Wisdom is the other thing … in fact, some say it is more valuable than learning any other thing.
In the Old Testament, as in Proverbs, wisdom and knowledge are used interchangeably, meaning they are taken to be the same.
Someone who forsakes wisdom is forsaking knowledge.
(There are 31 chapters in Proverbs and I am reading one a day …)

Have a nice week my friends.
Cheers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment