Monday, May 5, 2014

QUESTION: HOW DO I BECOME A LOSER?


FOR the first time, I am posting in this blog a response I gave to someone who asked a question in a social network.
I will be doing that in the future to help people who may be struggling with similar challenges.

QUESTION: I have always tried doing stuff that'll make me successful, but end up doing the opposite. Thus, I decided to know how to become a loser, so I do the opposite of that.


MY ANSWER: 
QUESTION NOT APPROPRIATE?
I am looking at the question again and do not think it is appropriate – in the sense that you “think you are a loser” because you do not succeed in what you do (or plan to achieve).
In saying “what is it to become a loser”, you are approaching something with a negative mindset, which I think is not a good approach to take.

BETTER QUESTION
The better question would be “how can I succeed in what I do”.
Better yet, be specific in saying something like “how can I succeed in studying Maths”, or “how can I succeed in playing football”, or, “how can I succeed in playing the guitar”, or, “how can I succeed in making friends,” or, “how can I succeed in making money”.

BE SPECIFIC – WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SUCCEED IN?
Being specific helps you narrow down on specific tasks that you can do.
Note that “being a loser” in academics does not mean you are a loser in sports, or playing a musical instrument.
History tells us that there were those who were losers in academics (like dropping out) who now own multi-national companies and operate on millions of dollars.
I do not think you are a loser, if you think you are – because you can write, as in posting a question in this social network where people can help you with suggestions. (Not many people can do that – I mean write good English and try to better themselves by getting suggestions/tips from others. They may be “losers” in a sense.)
I suggest, you be specific in your goals – or better yet, pick one and work on it, with help given by others. Be committed to it – and attend to tasks not with a “loser’s mentality” but a “winner’s mindset”.

TAKE PLAYING THE GUITAR … BE COMMITTED
Take playing the guitar, for example – that is, if you love guitar music and want to reproduce the sounds that you enjoy listening to.
If you want to play it that well, you will have spend one hour a day for practice – possibly every other day, and any free time you have.
If you can commit yourself wholeheartedly and fall in love with what you are doing, I am sure in less than a year, people will comment on your skills.
As far as I am concerned, many other things/skills in life are learned in that way – be committed to the task, and do not be afraid if you are the only person learning those skills.
It is your life and your desire so give the time to master the skills.    

SUCCESS IN ONE FIELD CAN FLOW INTO OTHER AREAS
If you work on an area/skill to the point that you are quite good at that, the effect can positively influence your performance/progress in other fields.
If you are naturally shy but then take part in a school play, the experience can cause you to come out of your shell and “succeed” in communicating easily with others, as well as making friends.
Students who are good with their writing skills can major in English and then later work as journalists – and in years to come write novels.
If one of those books becomes a bestseller, the journalist may quit working and starting to write full time, as well as using the money to start a business where s/he sells things that s/he loves e.g. food, electronic devices, etc.
If a movie producer likes the story of the bestseller and wants to make a movie based on the book, the author can help write the screenplay.
And the “success” continues to flow on and on.  

DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF WITH OTHERS
Here is another point: Do not compare yourself with any person around you. When you do that, you will always see yourself as the guy who is not good, possibly “the loser” – and that may hinder your progress in bettering your skills. Go at your own pace. Be honest, be true and enjoy what you do.
If you love what you are doing, people will come to love what you produce – music, art, writing or creating apps.
I wish you well – “winner to be”.

No comments:

Post a Comment