Thursday, March 20, 2014

THE WEEK OF THE FRENCH LANGUAGE … LEARNING THE LANGUAGE …



THIS week is known in the French-speaking world as “la semaine de la langue française et de la Francophonie” (the week of the French language and the French-speaking people).

I have just arrived from a function hosted by the French Ambassador here in Port Moresby to celebrate the week and had an opportunity to speak with him.
The ambassador is aware that many students who learned French in the past are in the top positions in the diplomatic corp.
But sadly, those were students who were given that opportunity back in the 1970s and early 1980s.
I also told him about the opportunities that came my way due to the fact that I learned (a bit of) the language.
I shared my making mistakes (which became learning experiences for me) while communicating with people in Nouméa and Wallis and Futuna recently.

A STUDENT CAREER TIP: If you are interested in pursuing a career in the diplomatic corp, journalism or as a language teacher, I suggest you take up French with your studies.
Journalists in top media firms in the world (e.g. CNN, BBC, etc) would certainly know another language, apart from English.
Your choice will reward you immensely.
Studying the language would enrich your life in some way.  
The University of PNG offers French courses as electives. I hear that the University of Goroka also offers French.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment